Thursday, August 5, 2010

Light Up Panties

The fight of Sexy vs. Skanky for pop music has apparently started. I am aware that there have been many skanky artists in the past but they've always been seen as slutty or dirty by the media, and most often never seen as sexy. The appearance of dirty lyrics have always been happening in hip hop, but not as often in pop. Cyndi Lauper sang about girls having fun, Cher sang about believing in love, and the most dirty song Madonna wrote was called "Like a Virgin" which was actually about saving yourself for that one person. So why are all these pop music artists all of a sudden seen as sexy now? In a world full of Lady Gaga's gun bra, Christina's light up panties, and Katy Perry's whipped cream mess , has the sexual side of music turned vulgar? Are they creating new ideas of what is considered "sexy"? Perhaps it's just that these artists are just really good at marketing themselves to the masses?


Some of Rihanna's "Rude Boy" lyrics:

...Come here, rude boy, boy, can you get it up?
Come here, rude boy, boy, is you big enough?
Take it, take it, baby, baby, take it, take it, love me, love me

Tonight I'ma give it to ya harder
Tonight I'ma turn ya body out
Relax; let me do it how I wanna
If you got it I need it and I'ma put it down
Buckle up; I'ma give it to ya stronger
Hands up; we could go a little longer
Tonight I'ma get a little crazy, get a little crazy, baby...


Rihanna is literally singing about how big a man's dick is and how hard and long she is going to go. Sexy or Skanky? Don't get me wrong, I listen and enjoy this song and every other title on her Rated R album, but is it ruining the sexiness of the act when Rihanna sings about taking it while someone's pulling her hair, or actually lack thereof now?


No, I believe it to be incredibly sexy, but not everyone thinks like me, and they're not all 50-something christian conservatives... trust me. Singing, acting, and creating music like this is widely acceptable now in the pop world. Views on sexiness have changed greatly in the past decades. 100 and even 1000 years ago women covered most of their body when going for a simple swim and it's just now, in the past three or four decades, that the appearance of nude beaches has spiked. Sexy is now to reveal more and hide less, as shown by Lady Gaga.




As I said before, many like to think of this new wave of progressive sexuality to be a terrible thing. So then, why are these women at the top of the charts and selling so many albums? Lady Gaga's 'The Fame' sold 174,000 copies the first week, Beyonce's 'I am... Sasha Fierce' sold 482,000, and Ke$ha's (yes, I went there) 'Animal' sold 152,000.
This is not including the illegal downloads, online buys, and sharing of records.


These women know how to market themselves. Shock value. Surprises. Sex. But sexy? Just like Joan Jett picked up an electric guitar and shocked everyone, nobody expects Katy Perry to be so damn suggestive.




Is a cupcake bra considered sexy? Or skanky? You tell me.

1 comment:

  1. Most of these lyrics, artists and images are so laboriously, oppressively engineered to shine with "SEX APPEAL" that they completely miss the mark. Who are these videos supposed to appeal to? I feel like this risque pop movement is the musical equivalent of MAD Magazine, completely literal and in-your-face. The one exception I make is Lady Gaga's Alejandro video, about which there is something inexplicably raw, namely in the bed-scenes from your screenshot. I'll admit, that really gets my blood flowing.

    ReplyDelete